Saturday, February 7, 2009

Not a Christian?

I realize that the bible is confusing, and because of that is subject to many interpretations. For those of you who think a religon just needs to "read the bible" and all the answers are there have obviously not read the bible. I am working my way through it again, and believe me every time I read it I learn something new, so if you magnify that by millions upon millions who have read the bible and gain their own understanding and pass their own judgements on what is said....well lets just say there are a lot of interpretations out there. Add in the fact that so many feel so pationate about their beliefs, well you can see why so many wars are fought in the Almighty's name.
That being said, at what point do you know which interpretation is correct?
I was raised learning about God through an LDS perspective (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) and since then have attended many different churches. My husband was raised Episcopal, we were married in a Lutheran Church and now we are currently taking inquiry classes at the Catholic church.
The truth is, through all of this I have prayed and read the Bible. I have kept a strong testimony of God, whether or not I always agree with him is another matter, I know he exists and I know Jesus died for our sins and that only through him can we be reunited with our Father in Heaven.
That being said my baptism has recently been called into question by the Catholic Church. I am trying not to be offended by this, but it is increasingly becoming hard. Perhaps I should just be thankful and say I get to start again...again. But I just keep feeling that my faith in Christ is being called into question. I am frusterated. I feel that I have already been accepted into God's kingdom, that was never my problem. My problem is that Churches are using too much "interpretation" when it comes to scriptures and relying too much on what been said by leaders in their church.
Men are not infalible. God is. So how can I in good conscience follow man's words? Is it more important to follow God in your own heart than in church?
I believe church is important. I think surrounding yourself with those that are like minded and have the same basic beliefs as you is good because it helps you learn and grow and know that you are surrounded by people on the same path as you. (It also should be noted that you should expand your horizons also and realize you can learn something from everybody) But is your own heart more important than what church you go to? I was raised thinking that other churches believed this, or that and now am learning that a lot of that is wrong, as well as what a lot of people believe about the church I was raised in.
Most of my trouble with religon has more to do with what the pastors, popes, bishops and elders say is Church doctrine. Most of it seems to be interpretation more than anything else....but what if I'm wrong? What if their interpretation is right and I'm the one who needs to fix my issues?
How am I supposed to know who is right and who is wrong? Or all they all both?
You should not choose a church based on "shopping" and finding the one that fits your lifestyle, but how offended can you be before it is the devil stopping you?
I find the more religous I am, the more superstitous I become.
So where do I go now?

No comments: