Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wives submit.

EPHESIANS 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands
EPHESIANS 5: 25
Husbands, love your wives

Boy, I used to HATE those scriptures. WHAT? I'M supposed to SUBMIT? What does THAT mean? Are I not good enough, am I the second class citizen? I will BURN my bra! Women's rights!

THEN....
I thought about it.

THEN...
I realized that I wanted my Husband to love me.
I wanted him to hug me and kiss me and hold me.
and HE wanted to feel like he was WORTHY of being my husband and the father to our child. That him going out and working, providing and helping us, was enough to make HIM feel happy with himself.
I could help him with that.
If I thanked him for going to work each day and let him know that I appreciated all the hard work he was doing for me, for our family, then HE was happy.
If HE told ME that he thought I was beautiful, that he was grateful for all that I did at home for him so that he could come home and rest, than I was happy.
I WAS submitting to him. I was letting him provide so that he could feel fulfilled.
He in turn was letting me know that he loved me and appreciated me.
We were both feeling loved and appreciated, but in different (albeit subtle) ways.
It's like that book, "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"
Men and women think differently.
We act differently.
And sometimes we need different things to make us feel complete.
That doesn't make one right, or wrong.
It just means that there is a difference.

Women was made from man's rib,
Not from his head to top him,
Nor from his feet to be trampled by him,
But from his rib,
Under his arm to be held by him,
Close to his heart to be loved by him.

I always LOVED that quote and can never remember who said it.

EPHESIANS 5:22
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord
EPHESIANS 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church and gave himself for it.

There is a difference in our needs.
Cherish that difference.

No comments: